Managing Kids’ Fear and Anxiety with Tips from Your Pediatric Dentist in Langley, BC
As a parent, you know how difficult it can be to bring your child to their dental appointment. Dental anxiety is common among young children and can vary in terms of severity. If you have dental fear yourself, it can play a huge role in how your child feels about visiting the dentist. It’s natural for parents to pass their dental fear onto their children. One of the most important things you can do to help relieve your child’s fear is to try to control your own apprehensions.
Our pediatric dentists serve young patients across Langley and Surrey from our locations in Cloverdale and Clayton Heights. Here are some quick tips from our team to help your child conquer their fear before their next dental checkup:
- Help prepare your children for dental visits by telling them the truth and what to expect when visiting your pediatric dentist in Langley. Trying to lure your child by promising a visit to their favourite store but ending up at the dentist instead will make the child even more wary and fearful on future visits.
- Discuss your child’s feelings so you can address their concerns and negative thoughts.
- Bring your child to the dentist at a young age - as early as their first birthday.
- Explain to your child how important it is to maintain healthy teeth and gums.
- Try helping your child with relaxation exercises, such as deep-breathing or have them listen to audiotapes.
- Distract your child by giving him or her a toy to play with in the dental chair or have them visualize a pleasant experience they once had.
- Use positive reinforcement such as praise and small rewards as an incentive for their cooperation and brave effort.
- Help relieve your child’s stress by simply sitting by their side in the dental office.
- Use picture books with detailed illustrations to help your child understand what to expect.
- Play pretend with your child; with you as the dentist and your child as the patient. You can also switch roles to allow the child an opportunity to be the caring dentist they want to encounter!
- Do not promise your child a reward for behaving well at the dentist – this can increase their nervousness.
Following through with your child’s dental visit is crucial, as it will help them realize that the procedure was not nearly as bad as they anticipated it to be. Your children’s teeth will continue to fall out and grow, and he or she may need to visit the dentist numerous times before their sixth birthday. It’s wise to help prepare them at an early age, so they may attend future dental appointments with more confidence and less anxiety.
Pediatric Dentist in Langley to Care for Your Child's Oral HealthThe pediatric dentists at Ivory Dental Centre have the training and experience to help anxious children feel secure during their dental treatment. Our team of experts understand how intimidating a dental visit can be for children, which is why we try to create as many positive experiences as possible to ease your child’s anxiety. We provide dental services for all ages. This helps make children feel more comfortable knowing that they are visiting the same dentist as their parents. At the same time, parents can enjoy the convenience of having the whole family treated in the same dental office, at the same time.
Contact Ivory Dental Centre today at 604-530-4011 to learn more about healthy dental growth and development for your child or schedule an appointment online if you require a pediatric dentist in Langley.